Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Beginning Carte

I thought I'd start my first blog with a big thank you to all other food bloggers already in existence. It's rather mind-boggling to me how much information is available on the Internet and that it can come from anyone who feels like sharing his/her own insights with the world, essentially, or at least the part of the world that is interested in whatever the subject matter happens to be.
I myself have been avidly devoted for the past year and a half of my life to my newish profession as a cook/chef (I'll probably get into my definitions of cooks vs. chefs in a later blog). I've always had a passion for the culinary arts, mostly on the baking and pastry side, and when my former job working as a business management consultant was not as satisfying as I would have hoped, I took a big leap of faith that working with food was where I wanted to go next. It was then that with that decision made I applied for a job as a kitchen assistant at the Thatched Cottage Hotel and Restaurant in Brockenhurst, England, and within the next month was on my way.
Prior to hatching this notion that I had what it took to become a chef, I had spent several summers and school vacations during my high school and college years working in kitchens close to where I grew up in Norwich, Vermont because it was an enjoyable way for me to pass the time make my spending money. However I never really pursued training in the field because I sort of had it ingrained in my head that a college degree was the best way to secure a future for myself.
Anyways, I am now still working at the Thatched Cottage, but have changed positions frequently, moving from kitchen assistant, to garde manger, to pastry, to running the main course line, and to even working in the front of the house, which is where I have been most recently. Incidentally I have retained my title as "Sous Chef" throughout most of these transitions; and while I have doubts about my own qualifications as a true chef, I do possess one quality that I think is absolutely essential for any aspiring chef: the passion and appreciation for all food and the sharing of it with all people. Thus, I again thank all food bloggers for their efforts in this pursuit, and will try in my future posts to share what I know and am constantly learning in the domain of food and gastronomy.

6 comments:

  1. Charlotte,

    Congratulations on your first posting!! I look forward to many more in the future, sharing those painfully garnered pearls of wisdom that only come from doing the work. Happy New Year from Colorado

    JimT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO very excited that you have a food blog. I look forward to your delicious (and easy!) French recipes as I've been pining for Paris recently!

    Miss you,

    theflirtygemini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, a recipe for you... This will serve approximately 4 people; easily doubled or tripled.

    2 pkgs (1 lb each) baby lima beans (if you can find fresh,go for it, otherwise, frozen are fine..just defrost them before cooking)
    1 potato, peeled
    1/2 stick favorite butter
    2 tbs horseradish, not horseradish sauce.
    2 tbs fresh chopped dill
    milk, or half and half or cream, for texture

    Cook lima beans and potato in water until tender.
    Working in batches, depending on the size of your food processor, blend the lima beans and potato until smooth, adding a bit of the butter to each batch until the stick is used up.

    Place in a non stick sauce pan over gentle heat. Add dill and horseradish and mix. Add cream/milk/half and half..you are looking for a smooth consistency similar to mashed potatoes. Serve hot. Adjust with salt and pepper to your own taste. Goes especially well with roast beef or any roasted or grilled red meat.

    You can play with the dill and the dairy and the horseradish amounts to your own or your guests' tastes. We always have a dish of horseradish at the table for folks who want extra zing. Lima beans are a vilified food item by most folks. Our experience has been it delights even the most hardened of skeptics. We served it to guests this past Christmas with prime rib, telling them it was the mystery veggie, only revealing what it was after they had some...no one complained at all.

    JimT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jim,
    Thank you so much for both your comments, and especially for the recipe. I have never much been a fan of horseradish myself, but I'm guessing that this combination of ingredients would no doubt tame the flavor a bit and I even imagine that I could enjoy the slight kick that the radish has to offer. Good suggestion, and I'm already thinking of a way to incorporate it into our menu! Perhaps a canape of mini yorkshire puddings, with shavings of roast beef topped with the sauce... Sounds good to me!
    Best,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL..You are obviously in a new league from Hawk Pine days. We should have had you cater our Christmas Eve celebrations...

    We find it a welcome complement to the rich but bland nature of roast beef. We have found the success of most beef-base meals in terms of mouth-pleasure and texture by customers/neighbors is in the complimentary but opposing nature of the accompanying dishes. The horseradish is totally in your control as a chef..cook? but a presence is necessary. Texture control is especially important with legumes, especially with this dish as most folks' eyes and palates will see it as resembling mashed potatoes and that will color their experience with the food.

    In terms of taming the horseradish...by all means, using the dairy of your choice to do so. The idea of mini Yorkshires is brilliant..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Charlotte, wanted to post my favorite bread recipe before I forget it:

    Maple Oat Loaf

    5.3oz organic oats
    1bl4oz water
    1bl8oz gluten flour/white
    8oz wholewheat flour
    3.5oz milk
    2.4oz vegetable oil
    3 tsp salt
    2 tsp yeast
    7oz Vermont maple syrop

    in a dough mixer
    stir the water and oats and leave to soak 15min.
    add all the remaining ingredience
    mix medium speed until just combined,
    finish kneeding by hand,
    brush with water and roll in oats
    place in a beard loaf tin, cover with a wet cloth and let it rise
    at room temperature for about 2 hours
    bake at meaduim high heat for 45min.

    Enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete